Friday, March 22, 2013

Rainbow Cupcakes and Math

Today was another PED day. There was no school but we managed to get 5 students out. We made rainbow cupcakes with food colouring and cake mix. Town has been pretty quiet as a lot of kids are out of town in La Sarre for a hockey tournament. La Sarre is about 7 hours away and is a pretty "short drive". Hockey tournaments are a regular occurrence, in one town or another. Don't plan big events during hockey tournaments or you will be disappointed.

Only one week left to go in Eastmain. Apparently, I will be going to Great Whale next; this was a last-minute change on the schedule. A bit frustrating as I was hoping to be in Chisasibi, where I have a life - parties on the weekend, badminton every Tuesday and Friday, bootcamp and my own place. In Great Whale, I have no cell service and will be billeting with the science teacher and her two dogs. It's alright I suppose, since I have friends there. It'll be nice to see the little Inuit kids at the gym again. Plus I'm sure I can wrangle my way into some badminton with the other Inuit people. The Cree are more into hockey and contact sports. As for work, I'm dreading it a little - I just find the students a lot harder to work with and their literacy and numeracy skills are extremely low. Mental math skills are near non-existence and adding single-digit numbers are a struggle. Definitely a big challenge. I'll be there for four weeks until Goose Break. 

In other news, my supervisor gave me permission to take Friday May 3rd off to attend the annual Ontario Association of Math Educators (OAME) annual conference in Toronto. It is going to cost me $235. Ouch. But I've been wanting to go for years! I would like to eventually teach math and am hoping to pick up some new and interesting ideas.






No comments:

Post a Comment