Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Why?

I've refrained from blogging about the school system as a whole. Having been here for less than 2 weeks, I've seen things I never knew would happen.

You can walk down the hallway and see full knapsacks, full of textbooks, untouched. The books are not carried home and sometimes not every brought to class. The backpacks can sit there for days or even weeks without having budged.

Students here do not have 'spares' as truancy is a huge issue here.

The school becomes a ghost town on Fridays and teachers tell me, "Don't bother teaching today. It's Friday. You won't get anything done."

Feel free to ask me for personal insights - for obvious reasons, I have decided to limit some of my opinions from this blog.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a teacher, but according to my friend who is a teacher and taught two years up north in Quebec, it is a bit disheartening to teach there. According to her, people are limited in their opportuntiies and a lot of the locals support themselves on governmant assistance, which means that they don't haev anything to spire to, and don't really have to work hard to be able to ... get by in life. I could see how that'd be frustrating to you as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete