Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Week So Far

Monday: Had 5 students come in on the holiday. One had to come because I talked to his dad on the phone; obviously he got booted out of the house. He showed up without smiling (but we had him in a great mood by the time we left).

Tuesday: Walked to the Northern supermarket and picked up ingredients for our spaghetti party on Thursday; the kids are going to make the food and then we will go for exam prep.

In the afternoon, as I wandered into the office, the principale and vice-principal were chitchatting. The principal, J., a man I greatly admire and respect, asked me what my qualifications are. The VP had a huge smile on her face, asking if I'd like to stay in Whapmagstooui. Clearly, they had been talking about me! I shyly replied out of all the Cree communities I've traveled to, this has been my favourite thus far; I had considered it but that other obligations were holding me back.

After school, I ran a workshop on exam preparation. The principal was in attendance, as were four other teachers (one worked for our charity last year). While it was my first time conducting the workshop, I was a bit nervous in the beginning. It went well overall although I felt sloppy here and there. Sometimes I want my lessons to be perfect and I stress on the little things. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed running the workshop and see myself doing it again. I realized that I would definitely want to have more opportunities to develop my leadership skills in an educational setting.

Wednesday: We got 8 parents who came to our open house!! It seems that everyone here takes coffee only with cream.

1 comment:

  1. Great to know that they appreciate and recognize your effort !

    ReplyDelete