Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Breaking All the Rules

I'd recently been emailing an old high school friend of mine. He was asking me how things were and as I began to tell him what life was like up here, I had to explain that I've been "breaking a lot of rules" the past 2 months. I wrote to him:


You might balk at this but I also drink in a dry community and bootleg stuff in ... it's more to help keep us sane, a glass of wine, some beer - just like normal people after a stressful day. Quebec is not as strict with how wet/dry these reserves should be. If you do this in Ontario or in northern BC, you get fired. Immediately. Pack your bags and hop a plane. Don't even think of bringing mouthwash or hand santizer in. You've just lost your job. 

Even in the classroom, how ethical is it that I help students on their tests? Should I give them a better chance of passing high school, when the currently school board graduation rate is less than 1%? Or do I do what "proper" teachers do and hold fast to those principles? How fair is it that the odds were stacked against them the moment they were born into these communities?

... at school I help students on tests and prompt them on answers because they are failing so bad they have zero confidence in everything they do. 

And last year, the Ontario College of Teachers officially said they do not approve of teachers using social media to contact students. Despite that, just a month ago, I made an Facebook account for my job so I can contact students and get to know them better. 

I would never do [these things] "in the south" I do things here all the time that 2 months ago I thought I would NEVER do. From afar, it's easy to shake your head. But living in the midst of it I understand better how things work and how things can work.

I would not be successful at my job if I didn't break the rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment