Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pottery

We had Monday off for Easter but the last three days have been great. The team here is awesome and always make me smile. We complement each other very well. Never before have I felt like I am such a great fit amongst my coworkers. We work, we eat and we play together.

School has been going well - there was a low turn-out for after school but we changed that in a matter of days. We had a big spaghetti party and yes, I fed the kids TVP again. BWAHAHAHA! Apparently I am not the only person who has pulled this stunt before. C. said she did this in another Cree community.

The Sec 4 French sector here is also tough to work with but I finally managed to work with of those students for 1.5 hours on science. Yesterday, I worked with the Sec V boys who are really sweet. The girls don't come out as much, except S., the chatty one with the 3-year-old, who came in this morning late. I was in the teachers lounge and came out when I saw her drinking a Yoplait in the foyer.

"Hey S., how are you?"
"Hungover."

Phew. I could smell the girl. She teeter around and said she had gone to a birthday party last night. D. said that another student came in reeking of weed. Yeah, this is normal stuff up here. Even in Whapmagoostui, the last day of the Whale Cup hockey tournament - Cree fly in once a year for this - the science teacher had noticed a line of students coming back into town at 6a.m. Monday morning. Needless to say, that was a quiet day.

I am tired. It's been a productive three days and ohhhh, I also submitted my last AQ assignment! Wheeeee! I just have to submit my last reflection and the teacher evaluation form. After I sent off my homework, we went back to school for pottery classes.

There is a teacher who has a full studio - an amazing collection of glazes, lots of clay - including locally-sourced yellow clay - 2 kilns (pronounced KILL) and 3 wheels! It's probably been 10 years since I have thrown but getting into it was soooo meditative, been though I am feeling exhausted. When I was in high school, I struggled with centered. I always fought against the clay but I did better today, feeling the flow of it. Even the teacher, I., said I had centered well! We all made bowls and picked out colors for glazes. I likely won't be able to get it until end of school year as I am leaving this community in a week and am not scheduled to be returning. D. will probably have to pick it up for me.

Alright, that's it for updates. This weekend, we are making a trip to Nemesca to pick up one of the work vehicles so that we can get home the following week.

Oh yeah, payday tomorrow too! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment