Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hudson's Bay

Awesome day.

After school, dropped into the regional science fair. Students from all over the Cree School Board came. Saw one of the two science teachers, C., I was working with just a week ago. He came up with two Sec 3 students, who did a project on solar panels. Unfortunately, in Waswanipi there were no Sec 4s or Sec 5s that did projects from all over. There were some pretty amazing projects and I even got a presentation in French (and interacted a little bit in French). The fair was suppose to go from 4-6 pm but the judges didn't even finish until 7:30 pm!!!

After that walked over to the gym. I snapped this one because the light over the bay was beautiful. I will need to go by and sit in on a sunset sometime (damn wish I had a tripod). Too bad Dave is not here with me he would love it.

Here I am at the gym. It is on the Inuit side (so even Cree have to come here to use the gym) and I played in the volleyball tournament that the Youth Fusion team had set up. I was happy to play a little - most of the ones that came were Inuit. The sports here are intense. The gym is full of people and busy busy busy. These kids are AMAZING at sports because they work hard and train. I met lots of little kids and learned lots of clapping games. I gave out stickers to 10 different kids (originally I wanted to give to one but then they all swarmed me). There were some pretty cute kids that I just wanted to pick up and take home with me.

Walked back and got lost a little bit but it is so safe here. There are always people around, whether zipping in Ski-doos or just wandering through the street. And the lights .... the northern lights are going crazy tonight! Absolutely stunning. Green flickering all across the sky.

Photos don't do it justice, you just have to come up and see it. I think at least once, every Canadian should come up and be up in the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment